Progress report

9:17 PM

So, this is what I accomplished this weekend. Yes, it's a 10-inch square of stockinette. But one day--maybe even one day soon--it will be the back of a baby kimono. It's off-white and knit in Bernat Cottontots. I had some leftover from knitting washcloths for my grandmother and this seemed to be the best use for it. The original pattern called for a cashmere-blend yarn, but this seems awfully impractical for a garment intended for a three-month-old baby. Come to think of it, off-white is pretty darned impractical, too, but at least it will be able to go in the washer and dryer.

I also knit a gauge swatch for a sweater for me. Yes--something for Saisquoi! Amazing, isn't it? I think I'm going to knit this cardigan. It's sideways garter stitch. It looks interesting, yet incredibly easy. It's funny--I'm not so intimidated by the knitting as I am by the piecing together. There are a couple other sweaters and tops I'm considering, but the sewing.... I suppose I've just got to put on my big girl pants and deal. So, I'll start with something easy.

So, I've decided on a pattern and even yarn--I'll knit it from Alpaca Silk by Blue Sky Alpacas. It's soft and shimmery and absolutely perfect for a spring/summer cardigan. What I've not decided on is color. Alpaca Silk comes in a variety of absolutely delicious colors and I just can't choose! So, I'm seeking your advice. Here is the color palette from Blue Sky Alpacas. What do you think?

But, I didn't just start new projects. I worked some on The Beloved's Blankie. Don't worry--I promise not to subject you to pictures until I've gotten noticeably farther along. The Blue Lagoon Blankie....well, that I've continued to ignore. I've figured out why I don't want to work on it. It's mostly because I'm harboring feelings of hopelessness that make it nearly impossible for me to find any sort of joy in that project at this point in time (is that vague enough for you?), but perhaps someday I'll pick it up again. As I tell the kids at church, you have to get ready to enter certain stories--and knitting is like a tangible story. No matter how much I try, I just can't get ready right now. So, I'll wait. And one day, maybe, I'll be ready.

Spinning. Now, that's another story. I've tried. I'm a miserable spinner. I either need LauraJ to show me again or I need to find a remedial spinning class. Or maybe both. Sigh. I know I need to practice, but I just can't make it work right now, I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is, and there is absolutely no sense in my practicing something incorrectly. Sigh.

And that, my friends, what my weekend. The Beloved and I watched some movies; I am now watching the final episode of Rome and lamenting that once again the powers that be have decided to cancel one of the few programs I enjoy. Ah me. And tomorrow begins another day...

You Might Also Like

1 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images