An update--Spinning

4:51 PM

Lest you think I've been slacking--well, more so than usual--I'll have you know that I have been trying my darnedest to spin. And today, by George, I think I finally got it. It's not perfect, but it does, in fact, resemble a single that one could theoretically ply with another single and make something that looks like yarn. I'd take a picture but for a couple of factors:

  1. There is no sun today and my house is like a cave.
  2. The single is still on the spindle and it's composed of brown Romney which, in the past, I've not managed to photograph well.
  3. I could take some of it off the spindle to show off, but that would necessitate The Beloved's assistance and he thinks we really should have progressed beyond spinning our own string. Foolish man....
So you'll have to take my word for it right now, and perhaps if I can hit Laura up for a plying lesson at some point in the future, I'll have actual yarn of dubious quality to show for my labors.

In other spinning news, Laura has led me farther astray by showing me how to use a wheel. Sarah helped (it was her wheel). Yes. This is what I do at work on Fridays--I attempt to avoid work by discovering new hobbies on which to spend my money. Next Friday Laura may bring me a wheel to borrow, and then the trouble will truly begin. The Beloved has already begun kvetching miserably: "Where are we going to put a spinning wheel?" Foolish man--it's not like I'm bringing home a great wheel. It will take up less room than my guitar. Comparable space anyway. And it will probably elicit similar strings of swear words. I can't wait.

Until then, I've got my trusty Golding spindle (God, I love that thing. It's ridiculous how happy it makes me when I can make it work.) and a little bit of Romney. I'm not quite sure the best place to buy roving here on the Seacoast. I'm not entirely sure that one can buy roving here on the Seacoast. So, I'll be exercising my librarian skills by looking for places that will take my money. Who needs groceries anyway?

You Might Also Like

1 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images