Help.

9:29 AM

OK. I need to start a new knitting project like I need another hole in my head. I'm very aware of this. However, I've been toying with the idea of knitting a lace stole/shawl for quite some time. You see, I have a friend who is engaged (I don't think she reads me, so I can explain in a little detail and hopefully keep this a sort of surprise), and I want to make her something special for her wedding. They haven't set a date yet, but I'm pretty sure one will materialize at some point in time.

I know she will want to keep things simple. That's just how she is. Plus, I think I remember her saying, "I just want to keep things simple." I feel as though the stole/shawl, if done correctly, will be simple yet elegant--hence, absolutely perfect. In fact, I've already chosen the color--more or less. I'm thinking of knitting it in Knit Picks Shimmer in the Morning Mist colorway. That way, she has her "something blue," right?

My friend also has a history with, or connection to the water up here on the North Atlantic. She taught sailing and summered up on the coast of Maine. I've been up to the place in Maine with her several times, and it's one of those places where everything just fits, if you know what I mean. So, I want to give her something that can hold some of those memories. The blue fits really well here, too--because if you've been up to the North Atlantic it isn't the deep turquoise water of the Caribbean. It's both misty and steely. It's beautiful and powerful--a lot like my friend.

Let me tell you, choosing a pattern that says all of these things has been an absolute nightmare, and I've toyed with designing my own--but that would create its own unique level of horror. It's still a possibility, and I've been knitting swatches from the Barbara Walker books looking to see if there's something there that really works for me....but, truth be told, I am lazy and would prefer to buy a pattern and yarn, sit down and work on it till finished (yes, I can finish objects, I've just chosen not to do so for the past several months), block it, wrap it up, and give it to her at the appropriate time. Designing my own stole/shawl pattern seems a bit daunting.

Anyway. Here are some of the current contenders. Originally, I was opposed to doing a shawl, because she doesn't strike me as a circular or triangle shawl type of gal (who knows--there could be one lurking in there, but I doubt it). Then I saw this: Shoalwater from Fiber Trends. When I saw this version, I absolutely fell in love--even though it certainly wasn't what I was looking for. (This is funny because it's pretty much how I feel about The Beloved--he really wasn't what I was looking for, but I fell in love with him anyway...)

In the stole category, I'm looking at another two patterns from Fiber Trends: Baltic Sea Stole and River Scarf and Stole. Both are lovely, but neither scream out to me "I am the one!"

So, I turn to you, kind and friendly reader. What do you think? Do any of these shawls speak to you, or should I continue searching and swatching until she sets a date and I really have to kick into gear?

You Might Also Like

1 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images