Take that, Dream Swatch!

1:12 PM

Yes, it's officially a finished object. Blocked, photographed, and being worn--even as I type! Please excuse the following pictures--light has been at a premium in Seacoast NH this weekend as the weather Gods seem to favor cold, gray and rainy. In addition, I took the "action shots" of myself because I was too impatient to wait for The Beloved to do it for me. So, without further ado, here she is in all her glory!

The Dream Swatch: Pre-Blocking


The Dream Swatch: Blocking
The images aren't as clear as I'd like, but the colors are pretty true.


The Dream Swatch: In use.


All in all, I'm happy with the final product. I like the way it looks on me, which means it will likely stay here instead of being gifted. Scarves in fingering weight are insane, so I don't know that I'd make another for fun; on the other hand, it worked up relatively fast once I sat down and focused, so were someone to request their very own Dream Swatch, I'd consider doing another.

Were I to knit another--particularly as a gift--I might experiment with some design....things. Because it's knit in stockinette with the elongated cross-stitches, it really enjoys curling up into a little tube. Wet blocking convinced it to flatten out some, but it seems as though it may be a little high-maintenance for a head scarf. Whenever you washed it, it would have to be dried flat and reblocked, which isn't a problem for me, but might be a problem for some. However, I see no reason why one couldn't "swatch" in a different stitch that wasn't quite so prone to curling. We'll see what happens should I ever decide to revisit this project.

Dream Swatch Head Scarf
Yarn: Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino Yarn, P816 (Bold red & violet with brown-black)--less than 1 skein
Needles: Brittany Birch US size 4
Length @ 40 inches (give or take)
Width @ 2.5 inches or so

You Might Also Like

2 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images