Startitis

6:08 PM

So, not only am I suffering from short-timers' disease, I've got a wicked case of startitis. The two may well be related. I've tried so hard to be good. I worked on Conwy this morning. And the shrug sleeve is underway--I worked on it yesterday at lunchtime. (It's not quite picture-worthy yet--maybe tomorrow.) But, alas, they just weren't enough.

I've had not one, but two skeins of Yarn Pirate Booty marinating in the stash. And I just couldn't take it anymore. So, this afternoon I took this:

YP_Calamity_2.JPG
Yarn Pirate BFL
Colorway: Calamity
(Booty Club Exclusive, August 2007)


and sat down in front of the HBO Free Preview and came up with this:

picot6
Plain Vanilla Sock with Picot Cuff
Needles: Knitpicks US 1 (2.25 mm) dpns

Please ignore my lack of photography skills. It's time for both a light tent and sock blockers, but craft time cuts into knitting time. I need to find balance. Or someone who lives to carry out crazy craft projects for me.

Anyway.

My original plan for this yarn was to have my first "toe-up" knitting experience. But I'd also been itching to try out the picot cuff. I'm glad that I chose the route I did for this yarn because it's not exactly a dream to work with. Don't get me wrong, it's very soft and I think it will make a lovely sock, but I had read that it didn't rip back nicely and I've found it to be rather splitty. The colors, however, are gorgeous--of the three shipments I've gotten, this is probably my favorite in that regard.

The instructions for the picot cuff came from here. If you google "sock knitting picot cuff" you'll come up with a number of options--I chose this one primarily because it provided instructions for fastening the hem while knitting and without using a provisional cast-on. (I may have startitis, but I'm also exceptionally lazy and had zero desire to deal with a provisional cast-on in the round while trying to watch Superman Returns. Priorities, you know?)

Picking up the cast on row and knitting it together with a live row to make the hem was a little fiddly, but well worth the effort since I won't have to sew later. It also gives me a nice place to run some elastic thread if I find the socks refuse to stay up. (Thank you Crazy Aunt Purl.) And, now that the fiddly part is out of the way, it's smooth sailing till I get to the heel and the tricksiness around picking up gusset stitches and the like. Which makes this an excellent project for the HBO Free Preview.

Except that it's started to pour rain here and the satellite signal is out. Drat. Well, the Options came in the mail today.... I could always cast on The Beloved's sweater if TV doesn't return....

You Might Also Like

2 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images