Epiphany

4:10 PM

Epiphanymittens
Epiphany Mittens
Pattern: Basic Pattern for Children's Mittens by Elizabeth Durand
Size: According to pattern, to fit child aged 8-10. In reality, these will fit a large child or a small adult.
Yarn: Noro Kureyon Colorway No. 212
Purchased at: Charlotte's Web, Exeter, NH
Needles: Takumi Clover US Size 7/4.5 mm DPNs

Today we celebrate the feast of the Epiphany--the day we remember the Magi...the Wise Ones...and their arrival in Bethlehem. At church, we decided that this was a good reason to have a coat drive. The Christ Child might not need a jacket right now, but there are certainly others in our community who could do with a little extra warmth. So, while the Magi may have brought offerings of Gold and Frankincense and Myrrh, we were asked to bring gifts of lightly-used outerwear.

nativitymittens


Since The Beloved and I don't have children, we didn't have any lightly-used children's coats to offer. We tend to wear our clothing into the ground, so we didn't have any big people things to give, either. So, this weekend I raided the stash and knit mittens. I don't think they came out half bad.

I bought the Noro in December with the intent of knitting these. But, I've had a recent slump of feeling excessively sorry for myself and the thought of knitting cute baby things just added to my morose-ness, so the Noro has waited patiently. When the coat drive was announced (the Sunday before Christmas), I thought I'd knit something if I had time, and I've generally got some Patons Classic 100% Merino lying around. This week when I realized that Christmas was nearly over, I realized that I really wanted to use the Noro. The mittens may be utilitarian, but there's no reason they can't be gorgeous, too, right?

Like I said earlier, I don't think they came out half bad.

You Might Also Like

5 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images