Easter fun

9:21 PM

Well, we survived. Cheese tray, deviled eggs, 10 pounds of ham, 10 pounds of mashed potatoes, asparagus, corn, green bean casserole, salad, bread, and pie. Oh, and lots of wine. And, can I forget the nineteen people who somehow fit into my teeny-tiny house? It was great fun. My cousin's little son, B, was the family photographer. They are supposed to send me pictures later this week. Until then, you'll have to deal with my inferior snapshots taken in between hostess and cooking duties...

These delectable little babies were courtesy of my mother-in-law. They didn't last very long.

This handsome young man is my baby brother. He is not the sibling in residence--he's a college boy, but he comes home on the weekends to do his laundry and eat some non-institutional cooking. My family is big on this--every Sunday we have dinner as an extended family. Location rotates between my mother's house and my aunt's house and generally involves about 10 guests, but can get as large as 17. Easter was bigger because it included my in-laws. Woo-hoo!

My mother and my auntie. Excellent genes in my family. I'm hoping that mine kick in eventually :)

Amazingly, there were very few leftovers. We've got a fair amount of ham, but nearly everything else was consumed. So, this is what I did with about 10-12 oz. of leftovers tonight: Macaroni & Cheese with Ham. Yes, exciting, I know. But this recipe is a little different and a little more grown-up than the garden variety mac & cheese.

Here's what you need:

  • 8 oz macaroni (I used penne), cooked and drained
  • 10 oz. ham cut into strips oz ham cut into strips
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 c. half & half
  • salt & pepper
  • 3/4 c. grated cheese (I used a blend of mozzarella and cheddar, I think--and I probably used more than the recommended amount)
  • 4 grated parmesan (I used a blend of parmesan, romano and asiago)
Here's what I did:
  • Butter a casserole dish.
  • Layer pasta and ham and pasta and ham, etc. in the dish.
  • Whisk eggs, half & half and salt & pepper together. Pour over pasta and ham.
  • Top with grated cheese.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until liquid has become custard-like.
Yum.

Oh! And I did some knitting! Not much--it's hard to knit and eat at the same time, you know. But I finished the mystery object, which I unfortunately forgot to photograph. Damn. Anyhow--I knit this little bag. It was cute, but it definitely needs to be lined, which the instructions don't tell you. Should I make this bag again--which is distinctly possible because it really was cute--I'll definitely line it.

I also cast off the baby cardi. Tomorrow it gets washed and blocked and then hopefully I'll have it together enough to finish it on Wednesday after work. If not Wednesday, I've got Thursday "off" from choir rehearsal, and so it might get finished then. So far, it's very cute--I mean, as far as off-white cardigans for infants go. Particularly when they're in multiple pieces on the coffee table. No pictures tonight--perhaps some "action" shots of blocked pieces tomorrow....

You Might Also Like

1 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images