FO: Christening Shawl

10:56 AM

I know. I said I was giving up on it. But here's what happened....

A week ago Sunday, I saw Baby K and her mom after church. Someone asked about the upcoming baptism, and Mom responded that, well, her family couldn't find the...whatever...that babies generally use at family christenings. And since the baby has been sick a lot over the past several months, no one really thought to ask other family members if they'd seen it. And, in fact, they weren't expecting a large family turn-out, anyway. Did I mention that Baby K is our priest's daughter? Where, in some families, this may be a rite of passage with little actual religious significance (no one ever goes to church, but dammit, we're baptizing this baby and having a party), Baby K's baptism should have been an event. So I told her Mom, "I think I have something she can use."

Then I went home and knit like an absolute fool for the next week. I didn't do laundry. I didn't spin. I wasn't ready for the start of Summer of Socks 2007. All I did was knit the Christening Shawl.

I couldn't knit it as long as I originally planned. In spite of my best efforts, I still had to go to work and occasionally sleep or eat. But, this is what I managed:

Christening Shawl in English Mesh Lace
Yarn: 50% Merino/50%
Tussah Silk laceweight from The Elegant Ewe
Needles: Susan Bates US size 5/3.75 mm.
Dimensions: 14"x36" blocked


Here's a close-up view of the pattern. Can you see the butterflies?

In spite of my concerns regarding the size, it worked quite nicely for the baby. She was absolutely gorgeous. It was a very nice baptism.

Now, on to socks.


Alas, this is not a Summer of Socks sock. It's the Conwy I showed you a couple of weeks ago. But it's almost finished. In fact, I may finish it this evening, in which case, I'll put sock #2 on hold while I begin my first SOS sock--a Jaywalker in Lorna's Laces "Funky Stripe," which is a long overdue birthday gift for my friend, ESB. The Beloved actually went to the LYS with me yesterday to pick up a pair of wooden DPNs. I'm not crazy about knitting on wooden DPNs, but I'm hoping they will be less cause for worry on behalf of the TSA and my fellow passengers when we fly out to Chicago next week.

The needles were actually an anniversary gift--The Beloved and I celebrated five years of wedded bliss on Friday, and, since the traditional gift for year five is wood--DPNs for me! I was hoping for a yarn swift, but was reminded that I got plane tickets to Chicago instead. The Beloved had to hold his arms out last night while I wound the Lorna's Laces for the impending pair of socks, so I'm hoping the yarn swift will soon come into my life. He hates holding yarn while I wind....but I suppose it's a sign that we're in for the long haul that he continues to do it for me, regardless. Which is a good thing--it's part of what makes it all worthwhile.

Oh, and since she reminded me that you haven't seen her in a while, here's Polly doing her thing...

Eat your heart out, boys.

You Might Also Like

3 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images