Interviews

11:31 AM

Thank you all for your positive thoughts and supportive e-mails. Interviewing is never fun. In fact, it's nerve-wracking. Last week, everything was helped along by the fact that summer decided to return and so it was over 90 degrees both days I had to look and act presentable. When there's no air conditioning at work. Oh--and the air conditioning in my car is broken. Since I have long subscribed to the philosophy of "If you look good, you sing good," (thanks Mr. P), I really felt like I was going into my interviews at a disadvantage.

EBSCO was Tuesday. I actually felt that the interview went well. The woman who conducted it was engaging and likable which really put me at ease. I had also filled out an application before I went into the interview, meaning I got to sit for a few minutes in the air conditioned reception area. This allowed some time for the sweat stains under my arms to fade. (Have I mentioned how put out I was by the summer weather in late September? Sheesh!) After the interview was T H E T E S T, which actually wasn't too bad. I needed to abstract some articles (duh), but they were short. And then I needed to proofread some abstracts, which was hard because I tend to over-think. I could handle the spelling errors and simple grammar, like misplaced apostrophes and commas. However, the abstracts made use of lots of passive tense. Which I hate. My father trained me to write actively--which was a great trait to have as a Political Science major (passive tense takes up space and politicians need brief documents)--but it's something I always check for in my own writing. Sometimes you can't get around it, but often you can and it makes for a stronger document. Well. I was told not to rewrite, just to proof. Which was torture because I really just wanted to put everything into active voice. I have seriously worried about this since my interview on Tuesday.

On Thursday I had the interview for the Young Adult/Reference position at a local public library. I felt OK about the interview, the director was very nice, and the people I met were very nice. It seems, though, that it's currently a situation of the lunatics running the asylum. They've seriously had to call the police in the past week to deal with unruly YAs in the parking lot. It made me nervous, particularly since programming is NOT my strong suit, and because the job description included no mention of combat pay. This presented a bit of a dilemma, because I really, really, really want full-time work. But I really, really, really didn't want to deal with 50 kids doing wheelies in the parking lot on a daily basis. Plus have to work every other Saturday.

However, this has all been made moot. Because this morning EBSCO called with a job offer. Hooray! In November I will begin using my mad library skillz in a corporate setting writing abstracts for a ginormous publisher and purveyor of databases. Have I sold out? Perhaps. But, you know, I'm OK with that. Because I think going back to a stable work environment after about 18 months of anything-but-stable will be a good thing. It will also, eventually, enable me to buy more yarn and fiber and perhaps even afford to take the occasional class. (Laura's post about her class at WEBS has made me insanely jealous and I'm terrified of color work.) Oh, and a new wheel. Mine is fine, except it doesn't travel well. I either need a smaller wheel or a bigger car because I want to be able to spin in the company of like-minded folk. The cats are great and all, but they aren't much for conversation.

Speaking of which, Polly seems to be on the mend. We're all touching wood that whatever has been wrong with her stays gone this time around....

You Might Also Like

4 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images