Still here

6:59 AM

Things have been quiet in these parts lately. Sorry for that. I'm still trying to get a handle on my new schedule.

Yes, I started my new job at EBSCO a week ago Monday. So far, so good. It's very different from any job I've held before. In just about every aspect. First, I don't have to deal with people. Since I'm still training, my Team Leader will come into my cube once or twice a day, or whenever I e-mail her with a problem--which, at this point, is still frequent because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. But otherwise, that's it.

I am, however, even without people, busy all day. Read article. Write abstract. Index. Repeat for 8 hours. It sounds like there isn't a lot of variety, but there really is. The periodicals are so different. I've worked on Health Magazine, New York Magazine, Kitchen Garden, Golf World, the Northerner (a paper out of northern Saskatchewan) and the Village Voice. Today I'll look at Education Week and Horticulture. So, essentially, I get paid to read and write all day. And on days when I have Golf World, it's work and it's hard and I hate golf and why do they have to use such goofy language and why isn't there a glossary somewhere--who knows this stuff anyway?! But New York was interesting, and the Village Voice has been a hoot. So, we'll see.

The best part of my job? For eight hours, EBSCO utterly owns my ass. I take a half-hour for lunch and that's it. No Bloglines, no personal e-mail, no Ravelry. But I don't take anything home with me. The other 16 hours are my own. Unfortunately, I'm dreaming about indexing, but that could be the cold medication. Yes, I've caught the obligatory it's-fall-and-I-don't-qualify-for-sick-time-yet cold, which has also put a damper on things.

Mostly, though, I'm just tired when I get home, and since I've looked at a computer screen all day, I haven't wanted to sit down and write. It will get better as I get used to it, but I need to build new routines for myself. Which is hard. Amazingly, the house hasn't fallen apart yet, and I"m still cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner for The Beloved and myself. Go me!

I've got to run--time to make the mandatory 7:30 trip through the Starbucks drive-through before heading down to work. But I promise to post this weekend if I'm not serving as the earthly vessel for the snot-monster from hell--I have knitting things happening!

You Might Also Like

2 observations

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images